Responsible Energy Usage – 10 tips
- Encourage the staff to switch off electric equipment such as lights… even the kettle… when not being used.
- You might even wire up your premises to different circuits, so parts of the building can be effectively switched off when not in use.
- Alternatively, consider dimmer lights, or LED lighting for communal areas, which are much more energy efficient.
- You’ll sometimes find that staff are unsure as to whether they’re allowed to do the switching off, so make sure you explain that such switching off it is perfectly acceptable, even to be encouraged.
- Information and education. Let employees know about the importance of saving energy, and good energy practice, both in terms of the business and the environment. This might be managed at staff meetings, or with promotional posters around the premises.
- You might also put up posters celebrating successes in waste reduction, perhaps posting stats about such reductions.
- Practical steps. Run an energy diagnostic on your business. Is the boiler old and rickety? Could it be replaced by a model that’s more energy efficient? And the business premises… might they benefit from better insulation to prevent the warmth escaping and draughts encroaching? And how about double-glazing the windows? This will all help save money on your bills immediately.
- Turn off all machinery when not being used. Equally, if staff see a machine not in use, they should also turn it off themselves… even if that's a desktop PC.
- Celebrate good practice, perhaps nominating energy champions within the business, who have come up with the most innovative way of saving energy. This might also work to publicise what you are doing, and encourage further good practice amongst the staff.
- Of course the brokers at Utility Helpline can also help give you advice on many other aspects of responsible energy efficiency, and help you with your energy usage.
Published by Utility Helpline on
Wholesale Energy Prices Update 11/10/2019
Wholesale Energy Prices Update 27/09/2019
Wholesale Energy Prices Update 20/09/2019
Wholesale Energy Prices Update 13/09/2019
Wholesale Energy Prices Update 30/08/2019